Child Life Specialists plan social events, holiday activities, pet visitation, birthday parties and visits from special entertainers and guests as a means to help children better cope with being in the hospital and make it as fun of an environment as possible. Many community groups and organizations visit the children, bring gifts and plan special events throughout the year and during the holidays.
Thank you for your interest in visiting a Child Life Playroom at Miller Children’s Hospital Long Beach. Please review the following information for special visits and events before scheduling your visit. Call the Child Life Program at (562) 933-8060 if you are interested in scheduling a visit.
- Playroom sessions are offered daily from 10 a.m. – noon and 2 – 4 p.m.
- There are playroom sessions from 6 – 8 p.m. on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday.
- Visitors must contact the Child Life Department in order to have program content approved and to schedule a date and time to visit.
- All visitors must be over the age of 16 and in good health on the day of the visit.
- Visiting groups must be limited to five people.
- All visitors must wear closed toed shoes and modest, comfortable clothing that is appropriate for a pediatric environment.
- Visitors may park in the visitor parking lot, and parking will be validated by the Child Life Department.
- Visiting groups will be met and escorted by a member of the Child Life Department and program content will be monitored throughout the visit.
- Visiting groups must check in at the information desk in the Miller Children’s pavilion lobby upon arrival and show identification in order to receive a visitor’s badge.
- Visitors must wash or sanitize hands prior to entering the playroom and after each individual interaction with a patient.
- All cell phones must remain on vibrate or silent mode while in the playrooms.
Tips for a Successful Visit
- Please bring appropriate crafts or activities with you to engage approximately 15 patients.
- Activities should be adaptable for children between 3-16 years of age.
- It is best to approach children by speaking to them at their eye level.
- Please do not ask the child when they will be going home. Often times they do not know the answer.
- Approach children slowly and calmly. Let all patients interact with you as they feel comfortable.
- Smile and enjoy yourself! Remember that children in the hospital are still children, and they benefit from your calm, positive attitude.
- Visiting groups are not able to visit patients in their rooms.
- Any leftover craft or activity items that you wish to donate will be given on your behalf to children who were unable to come to the playroom.
Program and activity restrictions are as follows:
- Avoid religious, political or violent/war related themes
- No food, candy or drink items
- No latex balloons
- No photography or video may be taken without signed parental consent forms, and approval of physicians and staff
- All clowns, mascot and character visits must be approved in advance
- No inappropriate costumes in pediatric areas (i.e. scary witches, vampires, monsters, grim reaper, etc.)
- No animals
- No loud/threatening noises, use of fire or messy program content (i.e. silly string, water play, etc.)
Thank you again for your interest in volunteering your time to benefit our patients and families.