Pediatric Transport Program
The Miller Children’s transport program makes transferring a pediatric intensive care or general pediatric patient easy for referring hospitals and physicians.
The Miller Children’s pediatric transport team coordinates all aspects of the transfer — they secure the ambulance, arrive with the pediatric transport team and transport the critically ill child to Miller Children’s pediatric intensive care unit (PICU).
A more stable child can be transported to the general pediatrics unit at Miller Children’s. Miller Children’s Hospital Long Beach’s pediatric units provide care to children with medical and surgical conditions. The tertiary Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU) cares for infants, children and adolescents who become critically ill or injured.
Call: (877) 624-7845
Checklist for the Referring Hospital
The referring hospital can help expedite the transfer-of-care process, by having the following documents ready for the Miller Children’s pediatric transport team.
- Two copies of the face sheet
- Copy of child’s chart:
- Admission record
- Transfer/discharge summary
- Medication record, including orders and administration history
- Lab results
- Ultrasound/X-ray films/CD
- Signed consent in absence of parent or legal guardian
Why Request a Pediatric Transport to Miller Children’s Hospital
- 24/7 in-house board-certified/eligible pediatric hospitalist, intensivists and neonatologists
- Access to board-certified pediatric sub-specialists, covering more than 30 different pediatric specialties
- Tertiary PICU, offering specialized care in respiratory care, trauma and head injuries
- Access to a pediatric emergency department and level II trauma center
- Specialized programs for critically ill and premature babies and their families:
- Comprehensive surgical care, with board-certified pediatric surgical sub-specialists
- Child Life program/sibling support
- Pain management program
- Multi-disciplinary care team complete with respiratory therapists, physical therapists, etc.
- Complete pediatric sub-specialty care
- California Children’s Services (CCS) provider
- Supportive/palliative care for children
- Parent education support program
- Free educational programs for nurses and physicians
Request a Pediatric Transport rolodex card.