The Larry & Helen Hoag Foundation Pediatric Urology & Nephrology Center
The Larry & Helen Hoag Foundation Pediatric Urology & Nephrology Center merges
Miller Children’s & Women’s Hospital Long Beach urology and nephrology (renal) programs. This consolidation of disciplines better serves patients in the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of kidney disease, while continuing to provide high-quality patient and family centered care and conduct innovative research.
The Pediatric Urology & Nephrology Center has board-certified pediatric urologists and nephrologists and an expert care team that covers specialty and supportive care. The Center offers multi-disciplinary care providing the latest urologic and renal care, including surgical procedures ranging from very simple circumcisions to the most complex of urinary and genital anomalies. The Pediatric Urology & Nephrology team also focuses on complex reconstruction and minimally invasive surgery, as well as the treatment of complex congenital conditions.
The Pediatric Urology and Nephrology team includes an experienced pediatric urology nurse practitioner and CCS nurse specialist for nephrology. Miller Children’s understands that treatment for urologic and renal conditions can be challenging for a child and their family, so the team provides guidance and support to help get the entire family through this process.
Miller Children’s Stand Apart
- Miller Children’s is one of only a few hospitals on the entire west coast to combine its pediatric urology and nephrology programs into a comprehensive center - offering a better patient experience through improved outcomes in prevention, diagnosis and treatment.
- Miller Children’s is one of the few hospitals in the area to provide renal replacement therapy to children as young as 2-years-old.
- The physicians and care team members at the Pediatric Urology & Nephrology Center are all specially trained to work with pediatric patients. All aspects of care are patient and family centered and tailored toward the patient and their families.
- Miller Children’s & Women’s Hospital Long Beach is unique, since it also provides leading high risk and maternity care. Therefore the Center, can coordinate with its maternal-fetal medicine specialists for pregnant women who shows signs of fetal urologic anomalies on their sonogram. This allows us to diagnose and get a treatment plan sooner for pregnant women and their unborn child with urological conditions.
- The Pediatric Urology & Nephrology Center care team conducts reconstructive surgery using robotic techniques. This allows for complex reconstructive cases to be done through small “keyhole” incisions. Urologic reconstructive surgery involves surgery of the kidney, ureter or bladder to restore normal flow of urine.
- A brand new, outpatient center has been built with five large exam rooms, conference and consultation rooms for patients to speak privately with their physician and a procedure room. The procedure room has a dedicated C-arm which allows for more cost-effective outpatient care and pain-reduced procedures.